Bike Safety and Rules of the Road
- Walk your bike on steep downhills (as noted on map and signs).
- Stay on the road.
- Hike on marked trails only.
- Pack it in; pack it out. Don’t leave litter, food, or debris behind.
- Give wildlife the right of way. Do not feed or approach animals. Be alert for large animals such as deer – crashes are a reality.
- Respect historic buildings. Do not climb on or deface them.
- Follow traffic laws. Cyclists have the same rules as cars. Ride on the right side, obey signals and signs, signal turns.
- Be predictable. Make your intentions clear; signal turns; check behind you before turning.
- Be conspicuous. Ride where you’ll be seen; make eye contact with drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Think ahead. Anticipate others’ actions. Be alert to turning vehicles, parked cars, debris, potholes.
- Ride ready. Wear your helmet; dress for the weather; carry water and food. Refill your re-usable water bottle or purchase one at the shop.
In event of EMERGENCY: no cell coverage on the loop; don’t ride a non-functioning bike; if stranded go to #9 #15 or rental shop for help; flag down a vehicle and ask them to report your location and need to us at the shop; a rescue vehicle comes around periodically. NOTE: heavy traffic on the loop means that it may take some time for help to arrive.